Saturday, May 02, 2009

Targets...

are made to be broken........[shucks]

I wasn't terribly well the last couple of days. I stopped the painkillers because I was sick of feeling sick........

Once I was feeling a bit more human I dug out my renactment stuff - there are always things to do!

I basted my new overdress dress...
and I started on my new shoes....I cut out the shapes from a cereal box, using the guides from our resident expert....
Arrange the pieces on the leather to ensure the least wastage..
And voila! Shoes ready to be sewn.....
First sew the uppers together using a hidden stitch - shoe stitching was not visible in the 14C style....beeswax is essential to make the needle and thread go through the leather easier....

And now, before embarking on the complicated double stitching on the sole which will make the shoe shape more defined, I am taking a short break from shoemaking....

The Company of Chivalry is back in the field this afternoon for the Bank Holiday weekend and I, again, am not going. My knee is still rather weak - although it is showing signs of improvement on what it has been!

cq

6 comments:

Ladybug Crossing said...

CQ - Glad to hear you are on the mend. Your shoes look really neat! I can't wait to see what they look like when they are finished!
xo
LBC

MaR said...

Ohhhh, you are talented, I also want to see those finished shoes!

Unknown said...

CQ: Stopping by May 2nd to catch up with you and to wish you all good things as you mend! You have so much creativity! :)

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I'm sorry to hear about the pain, but it certainly sounds like you're on the mend :)

David Edward said...

hurrah for new shoes.
I had to buy mine on ebay

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I cannot get over that you know how to make shoes, and, Especially AUTHENTIC 14th Century Shoes....WOW! That Is Fantastic, my dear CQ!
Oh, I so hope your knee starts to feel much much better very soon....!