Saturday, March 29, 2008

Training

Those readers who visit regularly may remember me going on a training course in January to teach First Aid. I was successful and congratulated on my practical training methods by my trainer.
Then the site invested in a nice new Resusci-Anne torso and defibrillator training unit, and it was over to me.
After a couple of hours of wittering away to myself and playing with the equipment in a room creating lesson scenarios, I came away with a short lesson plan that covered Basic Life Support and defib training.

Last week I delivered my first training sessions on, unfortunately for the odd easter-time, Maundy Thursday. My lovely, but cynical, boss had a wager with me that only a handful of the class would appear given the impending holiday.
But (pokes tongue out at boss) bar a couple, all the prospective students turned up to see me demonstrate and teach CPR and use of the defibrillator in a collapse situation. It was a simple teaching session, no complicated First Aid - that's for another time!
There are currently 7,500 people on our site (on a good day!) in stress-filled jobs and this is predicted to rise to 10,000 over the next four years - so we need lots of people trained in basic life support skills.
Most of my students were not First Aid trained, and didn't have a clue about chest compressions or heart massage - other than myth and TV! So, it was challenging to say the least.

I have got my feedback on the course and it was, without exception, positive and glowing.

Me dun good....

And so it's onto the next session next week.....

cq

8 comments:

MaR said...

Good for you, cq!!!! enjoy your weekend :)

Ladybug Crossing said...

There is no doubt in my mind that you would do a terrific job!
Congratulations!!
xo
LBC

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well CONGRATS, my dear...! You sure did 'dun good'....! I have never taken a class in First Aid or how to do any of this....! And, chances are I won't, unless someone can come here and give me private instruction...! I think it is wonderful that you are now passing on all you learned to others right there in your office!
Good luck on the next section..I have every faith that you will do fabulously well in that, too!

WendyWings said...

Congrats indeed, I am sure you did a great job.
How bizarre I was just working my way through my blogroll and had just been to Naomis and then came here and you were at my blog and left a comment,spooky ROTFL

David Edward said...

positive and glowing.
sounds like you

Bilbo said...

Please send your phone number in case I am ever in need of emergency care. Oh, wait...are you sure you use 21st century methods rather than 14th? I think we need to establish that early on...

Bobkat said...

Well done you! :)

Big pat on back!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Well done CQ! A Gold Star!