Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Little Bit Country, Little Bit Rock and Roll

Something caught my attention on the radio on the way home. The DJ played this song - always a classic:

and mentioned it was actually a cover version (not a lot of people know that!).

So I went a-hunting and found this wonderful footage. Blue Suede Shoes was written and originally recorded in 1955 (52yrs ago!) by Carl Perkins.

Here he is at Music for Montserrat Sept 1997, playing his moneymaker, his only top 40 hit and, as it turned out, his swansong. According to my source, this was his last public appearance. Carl died in 1998 at the age of 65.

Enjoy the music!

cq

6 comments:

Minerva said...

Hey CQ,
Just to let you know that I am thinking of you.
Keep on keeping on..and let your Dad talk if he needs to..

Mx

Melli said...

Well! ;) Classic IS Classic! I like Perkins version much more... but I never WAS a big Presley fan. (for some odd reason I liked his movies more than his music...)

Sleepypete said...

Virgin got a sale out of me earlier, thanks to music wot was playing in HMV :-). I was peeking at dvds and an intro for an all time classic came over the speakers ... 7 minutes later Stairway to Heaven had finished and I was looking at Led Zep cds :-)

They were cheaper in HMV though.

Can't beat the classics. Far more character than the manufactured dirge that we get forcefed nowadays.

Sleepypete said...

Erm ... make dat "cheaper in Virgin". Or I kinda look more daft than everyone knows I am !

OldLady Of The Hills said...

INCREDIBLE!

My Post on January 30th was about this recording of a song by me, from this SAME TIME PERIOD!
Mine was only a "HIT" in the state of Connecticut.....! (LOL)
BLUE SUEDE SHOES???? Well...It was a Humongous HIT....But I too, liked the Carl Perkins version Much Much better....The Nusic Business....It's Confounding!

If you get a chance, dear CQ...Go see this post of mine...Pictures that are so very precious....! Oh My! Same time period....somewhat different typr of music....!

David Edward said...

i LOVE the carl perkins version.
ALWAYS go with an original ( like yourself)