Monday, January 29, 2007

Blog Fodder #9

woo hoo! I'm on time this week!!

This week’s topic was submitted by none other than Rob, over at My Bloddy Great Nutshell. Go on over and say hi to Rob.

Name a sensory input(s) which trigger a mood change be it uplifting, depressing, poignancy or remind you of a past event or period in time. Examples - the smell of an aftershave or perfume, a song, a baby crying, the sound of a vegas slot machine, the feel of clean sheets, the taste of a childhood drink.

Would it be cheating to say a song? Yeah, thought so.......

OK, sensory input........hmm........other than the usual stuff, it would be the word hearing the word 'pigeon'.

'Pigeon'.

My stepfather is Polish and my mother taught herself to make several Polish dishes to please her husband - and we liked them too!

One of my very favourites was 'Gołąbki'; a hearty traditional Polish dish consisting of boiled cabbage leaves stuffed with ground beef, chopped onions, and rice, baked in a spicy tomato sauce.

We called them by their other name golumpki.

OK, fair enough - so where do the pigeons come into it?

Time for a Polish lesson:
Gołąbki is a plural form of gołąbek.
Gołąb means pigeon, and gołąbek is a diminutive of it.
Hence 'Little Pigeons'.
In spite of its meaning, it isn't made from pigeon's meat!

And when I went vegetarian, my mother even made me vegetarian golumpki!!

Looking for pictures, I found not only pictures - but a recipe and instructions on this blog!!

cq

9 comments:

Uisce said...

I loved the Polish lesson! I've actually had golumpki -- my ex used to make it all the time, even though she's not Polish.

Walker said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!
Cabbage rolls or that what we call them.
My parents make a version of them and my ex was Russian she made them to.
But their greek name means Mop like in mop the floor LOL

Have a nice day :)

Unknown said...

It looks healthy!

Le laquet said...

Sounds delicious ... with or without meat. Do you make them now?

OldLady Of The Hills said...

A very interesting sensory, my dear...But here's my question...Would it make you feel good? I am guessing it did because you mentioned that even after you turned Veggie your Mom made it for you without the meat...A lovely thing to do.
We used to have stuffed cabbage that both my grandmother and my mother made only it wasn't in a HOT sauce....But, it sure was good...Yum Yum.

And that website that had the instructions and the pictures was a treat!

Anonymous said...

That's a cool story. And very helpful, too, as my brother just recently married a Polish woman. Now, if I'm ever offered this dish, I will know what it is!

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Teena in Toronto said...

I'm not a big fan of cabbage ... may I have mine without pleez :)

Mine's up too :)

Bobkat said...

That sounds like an interesting recipe - nice and tasty and warm. Just what is required on a cold night!

Hope you sort your blogger accounts out soon. Things are afoot at my blog... :-)

Anonymous said...

Songs - cheating? Bugger - most of mine was made up of them.

Great to read your response. I've eaten pigeon but I reckon your dish would be a lot tastier!