Thirteen Things I found on my way to the Castle!
3. Look at this amazing forsythia - what vibrant yellow against the sky!
3. Stopped to admire the glorious daffydowndillies........ok, all right, I'm getting to the castle [sigh]
4. Do you see this building? This is a school built in 1862. There were two doors; one for girls and one for boys.......
5. They even kindly carved the date over the doors so we would know...
6. Then I paused at the town pump. I don't think it's attached to the water supply though........
7. [Oy! What about the castle!]
8. Be patient.......after the pump, I noticed this nestling in a wall. A water drinking fountain, erected to memorialise a Lt Hector MacLaine who, in 1880, died getting his troops fresh water........hmm....no water now..........
9. And off away down the road I walked.....[What about this castle!?!]...and I found this wonderful old tree. Trunk all twisted, many branches lopped, but life still in the old husk!
10. And behind the tree, just around the corner......?
11. [Woohoo! A Castle!] Nope, not quite. Our lovely 12C church St Mary's.
12. And look at the impressive graveyard - you had to have some serious dosh to be buried like this..........
13. [Come on - we want to see the Castle!!] OK, folks, here it is, Thornbury Castle!
The building of Thornbury Castle, started in 1511 by Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham, ended in 1521 when he was beheaded by Henry VIII. Buckingham's vast estates, including Thornbury, were confiscated by the King who stayed here with Anne Boleyn in 1535. Henry's daughter, Mary Tudor, lived here as a Princess and when she became Queen she returned the Castle to the descendants of the late Duke.
Told you we had a castle [pokes out tongue]!
Thursday Thirteen Blogroll
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants