Sunday, October 07, 2007

Begging for More

Have you been across the universe yet?
OK.......so...........
Have you been to see Julie Taymor's stunning and incredible film 'Across The Universe'?
(imdb) An original musical film, Across The Universe is a fictional love story set in the 1960s amid the turbulent years of anti-war protest, the struggle for free speech and civil rights, mind exploration and rock and roll. At once gritty, whimsical and highly theatrical, the story moves from high schools and universities in Massachusetts, Princeton and Ohio to the Lower East Side of Manhattan, the Detroit riots, Vietnam and the dockyards of Liverpool. A combination of live action and animation, the film is paired with many songs by The Beatles that defined the time.
Stocked full of gifted young actors and singers, this film was an absolute delight. I missed Beatlemania by a couple of years, but was still able to sing along with most of the songs.
The film starts with the same song being sung between an American high school prom and the Cavern in Liverpool, instantly showing us the background of the two main players. This beginning made us sit up and take notice, and we didn't take out eyes off the screen for the next two hours.
I came out of ATU desperately wanting a cigarette! - that film was better than sex! It was an assault on the senses, a visual and aural onslaught that left one breathless and begging for more. About half way through I whispered to cyberkitten that I was exhausted....!
If I come out of a film wanting to go back and watch it all over again, then it has to be 10/10.
cq
Once you've left your mark here please go visit my friend Minerva, even if you've been before (multiple visits are not a bad thing!), leave her your comments, strength, love, prayers - anything you can think of to say 'I Was Here'.

12 comments:

utenzi said...

I've heard of the film from several people, CQ, but for some reason none of the descriptions have engendered any interest in me for the film. I dunno why. While the other observations I've heard regarding the film weren't as vivid as yours, they've all been quite positive.

Michele sent me over.

CyberKitten said...

..and now you know where I grew up [grin].

Great film. Loved every minute of it.

Soundtrack is now on my Wish List.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

WOW! This sounds absolutely fantastic! I wish I could run to the theatre and see this film immediately...But I will have to wait for the DVD! Glad to read it is so FABULOUS, dear CQ!

Bobkat said...

THis sounds very interesting! If it scored 10/10 from you then perhaps I should take a peek :) Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Michele sent me to say hi this time :)

CyberKitten said...

Naomi said: This sounds absolutely fantastic!

It's a delight. We actually talked about you during the film & both thought that you would enjoy it.

I don't think that it's been a huge sucess so it'll probably be out on DVD soon.

CyberKitten said...

Naomi, I've just posted the cinema trailer for the movie if you want a taster....

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Many have mentioned this film. It looks very good.

carmilevy said...

Can't wait to see it. On your recommendation, it's now #1 on my must-watch list.

What we need now is inspiration.

Dropped in from Michele's to see how my British bud's doing this eve.

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

maybe I'll surprise my wife -- like it was all my idea -- heh heh

Anonymous said...

Saw the previews, but haven't been to the movies in over a month. Soundtrack is on my mp3 player. . . WANT to see it :)

YellowRose said...

Been wanting to see this one, glad to hear it doesn't disappoint!

Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Hello, Michele sent me.

I've seen posters for it but didn't know what it was until I saw a movie review. Definitely looks like fun. I may even garner up the motivation to go see it in the theater (vs. DVD)