Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Big Day

Today is my hospital appointment to find out what is wrong with my knee. It is still prettily swollen and painful after two months on crutches and four months with it elevated whenever possible. So I am guessing some sort of injury is still there.

I am working from home this morning, wading through paperwork so I can get ready for my appointment in plenty of time and to comfort my nerves - thank you, my thoughtful boss!

I had a terrible dream the other night which made me think realistically about any treatment on my knee. I'm not nervous about surgery, although I am not a huge fan of it - obviously......but I just want the constant pain to go away.

BUT if there is something wrong with it that requires fixing surgically, then it is possible there will be a six to eight week wait for surgery. Add in the recovery time for knee surgery - worst case 2 months on crutches - and my maths shows this eating into my medieval re-enactment season with huge golloping bites.

Update - yep, I have torn the cartilage in my knee. The orthopaedic surgeon says it is a clear tear and he can repair it with keyhole surgery. He is also hoping to get me fixed in time for the re-enactment season! The only drawback is the torn cartilage is aggravated by some arthritis in my knees.

cq

10 comments:

Juggling Mother said...

you can make authenti-crutches. I have a picture somewhere.......

Lazy Daisy said...

Gotcha all prayed up. I survived knee surgery and the knee is soooo much better now.

Melli said...

YAY! It's fixable!!! YAY YAY YAY!!! That is WONDERFUL! Arthritis is just a little thing ... at our age. But a torn cartilage is HUUUUUGE! So Alleluia! Praise the Lord! It's FIXABLE!!! *High 5's Your Highness!*

CyberKitten said...

At least you now know what the problem is... and can get it fixed.

Anonymous said...

I did that and had loads of physio - knee is back to normal!

belleek

Bobkat said...

It must be so nice to actually know what is wrong, to know they can fix it and to know the end to the pain is in sight! Here's to a cancellation so you don't have to wait long! And here's to strutting your funky stuff this summer sans crutches :)

Hugs

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Hope the day went well.

David Edward said...

at least the uncertainty is mostly over
and Bobkat had such good news
its going to be a good year for all

OldLady Of The Hills said...

So happy to hear it is FIXABLE!!! And I hope the surgeon can do it sooner than later....! That kind of surgery doesn't soun quigte as invasive....I hope I am right!

I know you must be very relieved to know what it is----Sorry to hear about that arthrituss, though....that can be quite painful all by itself, at times....

Prayers will STILL be coming your way for the successful outcome of surgery....AND, it sounds like Reanactment will be a part of your life this year...HOORAY!

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

It's good to hear your knee is fixable and in time for the re-enactment season, though I'm sure somebody could have some up with an authentic-type crutch for you!