Thursday, November 17, 2005

RIP Eddie - and thank you

One of the enduring and hardworking stars of wrestling entertainment has died.

Eddie Guerrero, active wrestler, was found dead in his hotel room while on tour by his nephew Chavo (also a WWE wrestler). He was only 38.

I have admired Eddie's resolute spirit for years, right back to when he was fighting his addiction to pills and booze. The clean Eddie that emerged a few years back was fabulous. He worked so hard that he was nothing less than admirable. He was exciting, vibrant and controversial. He was cute, canny and oh so funny. He was a man of the people, and even when he turned Heel in a plotline with old friend Rey Mysterio, he was unarguably still the best in the business.

He had a wife Vicki and two daughters that he adored.

I held my breath for the autopsy report, hoping that Eddie had not slid back down that slippery slope to drugs and alcohol.

I just read this report:

11/15/05
It is now known that Eddie Guerrero died of heart disease. His wife Vicki said " that the blood vessels were very worn and narrow, and that just showed all the abuse from the scheduling of work and his past. And Eddie just worked out like crazy all the time. It made his heart grow bigger and work harder and the vessels were getting smaller, and that?s what caused the heart failure. He went into a deep sleep." (credit slamsports.com)

A more complete autopsy is still pending.

Thank you, Eddie......

cq
(and you all now know one of my secret vices, men running around in lycra knickers!)

3 comments:

MaR said...

I must admit I didn't know him but I have seen a few bloggers writing about him, so he must have been very popular. So young to die and a family mourning...
(loved your last purple line *giggles*)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I had never heard of him till I sawq that a few people have been writing about his death...I know 38 is MUCH too young to die...I hope they figure out the exact nature of his death...

craziequeen said...

I have been a faithful follower of the american style wrestling entertainment for fifteen years. Funnily enough, it was Mike (see Bruise Brothers) who introduced me to it. I went to Summerslam in Wembley in 92 and was hooked. The music, the noise, the *life*, was incredible.

Sadly, they have lost a few good men lately.
Mike Hegstrand (Hawk of LOD)heart condition
Mike Lockwood (Crash Holly) suicide
Owen Hart (of the Hart wrestling family) accident in the ring

Eddie's girls are still very young, but the Guerrero family is strong and the WWE family is loyal, so they should be well looked after.

cq
ps - wonder if Blogfaddah has any lycra knickers? :-)